Friday, July 24, 2009

I Heart The Decemberists

Hardcore. It's bad. It's obsession on a Phoenix level. Have some awesome videos and lyrics. It's July, how appropriate for the first video, and as for the second...one of the most disturbingly romantic songs ever. It's on The Crane Wife, which is actually based on the old Japanese folk tale. Watch!

July! July!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hbwLdeUHag&hl=en&fs=1&]

There is a road that meets the road that goes to my house and how the green grows there. And we've got special boots to beat the path to my house and it's careful and it's careful when I'm there.

And I say your uncle was a crooked French Canadian! And he was gut-shot runnin' gin, and how his guts were all suspended in his fingers and how he held 'em,  how he held 'em held, 'em in.

And the water rolls down the drain, the water rolls down the drain, oh what a lonely thing! In a lonely drain!

July, July, July! Never seemed so strange
July, July, July! It never seemed so strange

This is the story of the road that goes to my house and what ghosts there do remain. And all the troughs that run the length and breadth of my house and the chickens how they rattle chicken chains.

And we'll remember this when we are old and ancient, though the specifics might be vague. And I'll say your camisole was a sprightly light magenta when in fact it was a nappy blueish grey.

And the water rolls down the drain, the blood rolls down the drain, oh what a lonely thing! In a blood red drain!

July, July, July! Never seemed so strange
July, July, July! It never seemed so strange

Oh Valencia!

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlb197LmwSw&hl=en&fs=1&]

You belong to the gang and you say you can't break away, but I'm here with my hands on my heart. Our families can't agree, I'm your brother's sworn enemy, but I'll shout out my love to the stars.

So wait for the stone on your window, your window.
Wait by the car and we'll go, we'll go.

When first we laid eyes I swore to no compromise, 'til I felt my caress on your skin. Well, how soon we were betrayed, your sister gave us away and your father came all unhinged.

So wait for the stone on your window, your window.
Wait by the car and we'll go, we'll go.

Oh Valencia!!! With your blood still warm on the ground. Valencia!!! And I swear to the stars, I'll burn this whole city down.

All I heard was a shout, of your brother calling me out, and you ran like a fool to my side. Well, the shot, it hit hard, and your frame went limp in my arms, and an oath of love was your dying cry.

So wait for the stone on your window, your window.
Wait by the car and we'll go, we'll go.

Oh Valencia!!! With your blood still warm on the ground. Valencia!!! And I'll burn this whole city down. Valencia!!! With your blood getting cold on the ground. Valencia!!! And I swear to the stars, I'll burn this whole city down.

The Decemberists' Site

No comments:

Post a Comment