Thursday, January 20, 2011

They're remaking Drop Dead Fred!?

So, Hollywood decided to make another remake. Who'da thunk it, huh?

The paparazzi-smacking, football-loving, Katy Perry-marrying lunatic, Russell Brand will be playing Fred with no mention of who’ll be playing Lizzie. On the other hand, I keep hearing whispered "Zooey Deschanel"s. If this is the case, I don't think I'll ever be able to watch another movie again. While I'm devastated that they would remake this movie in the first place, I'm kind of glad it will at least be Brand. Fred should be vile, disgusting, lewd, inappropriate, and lovably insane, which is how Brand brings home the bacon most days.

Drop Dead Fred is one of my childhood favorites and it will be incredibly sad to see someone else singing the "Dirty Dirty Poo Poo" song and sinking houseboats. Especially because it won't be Rik Mayall, my second favorite Young One.

To make matters more interesting (read: worse), not only will Universal Studios be ripping off Drop Dead Fred, they'll also be taking a crack and Beetlejuice while they're at it. "The first Fred was critically drubbed and commercially unsuccessful. But it did achieve a certain cult status and is considered a film that fell short of its full potential. The take for the new Fred is to make a film in the tone of Beetlejuice, building a universe around the concept of imaginary friends. Brand would play the trouble-making pal."

How dare they talk about Fred that way! I loved him for being "critically drubbed and commercially unsuccessful", dammit. All I can really do right now is bitch, moan, and sigh until this movie comes out. Until then, I'll be hoping, wishing, and praying that 1.) They don't butcher it and 2.) Hollywood comes up with an original story soon. Hopefully, at the least, it will introduce a new generation to the wonder that is Drop Dead Fred. Also, it's rumored that Phoebe Cates will be in the movie somehow. Could she be the next Polly? We'll just have to wait and see!

3 comments:

  1. Boo-urns. This is a childhood favorite of my own (and watching it recently made it a grown-up favorite, too). Also, being such a Young Ones fan, it's tough to think about watching the movie and not hearing 'P'rik's deep English accent snorting at Lizzie's mom not wearing any panties :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me some Phoebe Cates but I never enjoyed Drop Dead Fred. That said, remaking it is a terrible idea, and that's not because I didn't like the original. It's just insane to keep recycling old ideas, especially when there is plenty of originality to go around. Do they think they're gonna have success with a film that majorly bombed the first time around? Hell, I love both Mayall and Brand but this is simply all around wrong!

    Regarding them remaking Beetlejuice, I'm just gonna pretend I didn't read that. It would be a sin to remake something as fabulous as Beetlejuice.

    Keep up the great work as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, Bliss! Cobwebs!
    And Unheard, thanks for stopping by! What's even more ridiculous, is have you seen the prices of used copies of this movie on Amazon now!? It's $30 for a USED copy and new copies are anywhere from $80 to $150! It's craziness!

    ReplyDelete