Monday, November 16, 2009

Andrew McMahon and Jack's Mannequin

From Something Corporate to his new outfit, Jack’s Mannequin, I’m pretty sure Andrew McMahon is one of my favorite people of all time.

He’s an animal on the piano, an amazing vocalist, a leukemia survivor, and a down-right emo kid through and through.

As Jack’s Mannequin, McMahon and his band have released two albums, Everything In Transit and The Glass Passenger. I would say they’re a bit more raucous and personal than McMahon’s prior efforts with Something Corporate, not that I didn’t love them as well.

It makes me insanely happy that he’s making music again and he’s one of those vocalists that brings me awesome memories.

Funny story: One night, while wandering around Oakland, the big college town here in Pittsburgh, myself and two friends find ourselves outside of…god, where were we…AJ Palumbo? Anyway, we come across this janitor with a DUMPSTER full of belts. Really. So apparently, they were taking studded belts off of all the emo kids attending the Good Charlotte/Something Corporate/Mest show that evening. Well, since we’re so awesome, we procure ourselves some free belts and sneak into said show. I never really realized how easy it was to get into that place. Seriously, we opened the door, walked in, and sat down.

Anyway, we made it in right as Mest finished their set, then Something Corporate comes on. They were absolutely amazing. Come to think of it, I don’t even remember if he lit his piano on fire at the end that time (Mikey, help me on this one!), but I just remember them being awesome. Anyway, I would say that it was well worth it if I had paid to get in.

It was one way to spend a cheap night with friends, and you know what? I totally still have that belt. So, dear Andrew McMahon, sorry for stiffing you out of $15 or whatever your show cost that night. My soul could not rest soundly had I purchased my way into a show that Good Charlotte was playing. I hope you understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment