Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Broken Bells – Self Titled

So I know I’m a little late with this and have been a terrible blogger, BUT…
Dear Indie Geeks, rejoice in the knowledge that James Mercer loves you. He loves you SO MUCH.

Ever since I heard about the insane collaboration of The Shins‘ James Mercer and the utterly fantastic Brian “Danger Mouse” Burton, I have been waiting not-so-patiently for their eponymous debut. Oh, how I love Danger Mouse. His collection of works, remixes, and ventures just makes me drool a little. From remixing Neutral Milk Hotel (of all bands) to Jay-Z to Gorillaz to Gnarls Barkley, the guy’s the goddamn Midas of the music industry. Add that to the incredibly talented indie-rock-god, James Mercer and it’s simply sublime.

So many people have been disappointed in this album and I’m really not sure why. Yes, it’s slightly over-produced, but it is James Fucking Mercer (that’s his real middle name in case you didn’t know) and Danger Mouse…what the hell did you expect? For them to make this album in their garage? Sorry, hipsters, that’s just not the way it works.

The blend of hip-hop roots and indie sensibility is just seamless. Who ever thought that that would come out of me? Really. It does seem that Mercer is the main attraction of this album, but you can really hear the themes of the vintage-inspired Burton. From the pop culture friendly “The High Road” to the nearly falsetto “The Ghost Inside” to the 80′s synth beat laden “October”, I love this album.

The only thing that I can possibly find to complain about is the length…at a mere 30 minutes, I just find myself really getting into the groove before the album starts over. Well, there’s rumored to be a new Shin’s album on the way, so perhaps we’ll get a larger James Mercer fix then. In the meantime, definitely take that half hour out of your day to check out this album. Absolutely incredible. B

Check out the complete album over on their Myspace.

No comments:

Post a Comment