Wednesday, May 12, 2010

OWL – Chants (The Vibrations in the Streets Keep Me Weak in the Knees)

Not Owl City, but it’s driving me crazy that OWL’s first single is “Modern Eyes”. Owl City, Ocean Eyes. Come on now. Thankfully, OWL is good enough to make me look past that. From their Myspace:
Originally starting as a bedroom recording project between Vanessa Murnaghan and Matthew Macdonald (The Superfantastics) in August 2008, Owl quickly made their way across internet music blogs, into rotation at indie dance nights, and onto the stage.
With Matthew’s electronic arrangements that evoke equal amounts of MGMT and The Postal Service, combined with Vanessa’s warm melodies and laid back delivery, Owl will make you want to cuddle in a warm blanket with some hot chocolate.
Owl will make you want to dance in the middle of the street with your best friend during an Atlantic Canadian snowstorm.
Owl will make you want to throw a surprise party for a complete stranger.
Owl will make you want to bake a batch of cookies, but then eat all of the dough before the oven is heated to the proper temperature.
Owl will then tuck you in to bed because your tummy hurts, and apologize for the cookie dough incident.
I find this to be true. I want to do all of those things, especially the cookie dough one. They’re another one in a long list of bands that I’ve been hooked on lately and I’m beginning to see a pattern here. Bitter:Sweet, The Bird and the Bee, Jem, Owl City and the Postal Service. I love electronic indie-pop bands. I just can’t help myself. They were the natural progression of emo, and we all know I’m a giant emo kid. Okay, maybe you didn’t know that, but you know it now.

The duo from Halifax, Nova Scotia have released their first EP, Chants (The Vibrations in the Streets Keep Me Weak in the Knees) and you can download it for absolutely free here. I love free things! So should you! Charmingly sweet vocals and catchy melodies are keeping this album on repeat for me. MacDonald creates a soothing, aquatic quality while Murnaghan’s soft voice carries that melody along and gets it embedded directly in your brain parts. I’ve had “Morning Eyes” stuck in my head for two days now, only with small breaks for “Sandi with an I’s Song” and “Airport”.

Seriously, guys, what do you have to lose? The album’s free, and even if you don’t want to download it, it’s available on their Myspace. Take a minute and check out OWL, they’re certainly worth the time. B!

No comments:

Post a Comment