Friday, October 15, 2010

Sara Bareilles - Kaleidoscope Heart

Sometimes, I really love when an album gets mixed reviews. Okay, I like it all the time. I hate when an album comes out and everyone's all, "OMG BEST ALBUM OF ALL TIMEZ!!!11!!11one!11". Sometimes it's true, but more often that not, it's not. Not everyone likes the same type of music, and that's the way it's supposed to be.

Despite what appears to be a rather lukewarm reception, I like this album. I also like Sara Bareilles as a whole (um, piano? That's where it's at). Be forewarned, there is no "Love Song" on this album. There is no forcibly radio-friendly pop song, so if that's what you're looking for out of Sara, well...you're not gonna get it. On her junior effort, Kaleidoscope Heart, Bareilles uses complex vocal melodies, classically constructed arrangements, and good, old-fashioned talent to keep this album afloat. It's more of a return to her beginnings, as heard on 2004's Careful Confessions (or the other 12 tracks on Little Voice, for that matter). Bluesy, soulful, and while hindered in sound, it's just as emotionally compelling.

Once again, the "hit single" on this album, "King of Anything", is not even remotely the best song. That would be "Gonna Get Over You". It's the one that catches my ear on every play-through. It's got that same up-tempo beat /slash/ angry girl rock, kick-him-to-the-curb attitude as so many of her other tracks. And while she does do it on a regular basis, it never really gets old. This could be due to the fact that I do, indeed, have ovaries, but there's something that I really just love about angry, independent girls.

While she does recycle some of the same mentalities, she also veers off-course with two pure, acoustic, guitar tracks, "Basket Case" and "Let the Rain". More in a singer-songwritery-vein, they really bring her voice to light. It's really kind of amazing how it sounds without the clamor of her piano. Don't get me wrong, I love that piano, it's just nice to get a little variation every now and again. While I absolutely don't wish the curse of being a one-hit-wonder on her, I really enjoy where Bareilles is going with this album. It's a little more personal and a little less about the record company (aka: the people who pretty much commissioned her to sing "Love Song").

In a sea of auto-tuned female pop stars, it's refreshing to see someone with genuine talent making music. If you're looking for another easily-digestible, radio-ready pop album, this one's not for you. If you're looking for some actual female talent and compelling songs, it is. While I want to give this album an A, I've also heard Careful Confessions, which was just so filled with raw emotion and musically inspiring tracks, I just can't. So, it gets a B.

You can actually here it streaming now on her Myspace and you can check out more news'n'stuff over on her website.

"Gonna Get Over You"

No comments:

Post a Comment