Friday, December 10, 2010

Girl Talk - All Day

Three weeks in and I simply can't stop listening to Girl Talk's newest album, All Day. It's a little bit ridiculous actually. The fifth effort from Pittsburgh native, Gregg Gillis, is by far his best yet. At least in my opinion. I can't believe that there's actually been negative reviews on this album. A negative review of Girl talk is a negative review of almost 400 songs. If you can't find something to like on here, stop listening to music because your life is over.

It's amazing to see how far he's come since 2002's Secret Diary. This album is fitter, happier, and more productive. It's cleaner and so well produced. What's awesome about Girl Talk in general, is that no matter what, there's some part of a track that you're bound to like. Classic rock with hardcore rap with happy hardcore with 80's pop. And somehow...it just makes sense. Also, it makes it okay for me to rock out to songs that I would otherwise feel a little embarrassed to enjoy. Case in point: Beyonce's "Single Ladies" or Rhianna's "Rude Boy" (Note: this statement does not apply if I am in a three block vicinity of a gay bar. Then it simply can't be helped).

Also, Girl Talk has changed the way I feel about rap, in general. I always thoroughly enjoyed the beats in rap songs...if only the people singing in them would just shut the fuck UP, already. Girl Talk remedies this quite nicely. You get only the best parts of three hundred and seventy-some songs. It is the ultimately party playlist. The mashups on this album are the best of the best, though. One of my personal favorites has got to be the call and answer of The Beastie Boys' "Hey Ladies" to Lady Gaga's "Lovegame". Okay, OR Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" vs. Ludacris' "Move Bitch" ("I'm doin' a hundred on the highway so if you do the speed limit, get the fuck outta my way. I'm D.U.I., hardly ever caught sober, and you about to get ran the fuck over.") Classy. Okay, OR any one of the other 1000 incredible mashups on this album. The whole thing is simply fucking phenomenal.

Oh, and have you heard about this "Gregg Gillis Day" situation? Alright, let's get on a personal Girl Talk for a minute hear. As stated before, we attended the same high school and her grew up like, two towns over from me. I didn't know him, but it still give me a warm, fuzzy feeling that something awesome happened in my neck of the woods. Anyway, Pittsburgh has declared December 7th (also the day of the attacks on Pearl Harbor) Gregg Gillis Day. How 'bout that. Is there a Michael Jackson Day? No. Is there a Beatles Day? No. Is there a Lady Gaga Day? No. Suck it, other cities. We have Gregg Gillis and you don't. We like him so much, we made him his very own special day. I really want to make the most of this. Gregg Gillis Day party next year? Yes, please.We'll mash up some various alcoholic drinks? MOJITOS!!! I declare the official drink of Gregg Gillis Day mojitos.

I did miss his live show here recently, which was a bummer. It's incredible that it sold out as quickly as it did and hell, I'm happy for him. I hope the half-naked, hairy, maniac that he becomes live entertained a whole lot of people at Pittsburgh's new Stage AE. Perhaps one of these days, I'll have to catch him.

Okay, back to the album:

It's one of those albums that you can just put on repeat and walk away. You never hear the same song twice. There's always that new layer of that other track that you didn't hear last time and somehow, it's always a welcome addition. It's ridiculously awesome and like most of Girl Talk's work, absolutely free. Head on over to Illegal Art and download your copy now. It's well worth your time. You can also stream it from his Myspace. A!

No comments:

Post a Comment