Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Ke$ha - Cannibal

In a posthumous movie about John Travolta's life, who would play him? Ke$ha.
Anyway, onto the music!


I never really listened to Ke$ha (or at least not that I was entirely aware of) until yesterday. I saw the episode of The Simpsons where they made fun of "Tik Tok" and apparently they play that "Take It Off" song at the bar that I frequent, but I never realized that it was her.

I have a soft spot for shitty pop music...I really do. I find it quite hard to believe that she has any real talent, but this album is downright entertaining. Autotune? Bring it on. Vocorder? There's enough of it on here to fill 50 million Brittany Spears albums. Ke$ha is the poor man's Lady Gaga. While Gaga's singing about "the Jag, the jet, and the mansion", Ke$ha is singing about how her and her friends are those girls who take your drink off the table at a bar when you leave. Okay, well...that part's kinda gross, but you get what I mean.



Cannibal is your standard, terrible pop album and I love it in that way that dogs love rolling in garbage. Yeah, it smells bad, but by god, it's fun. It's got such heartfelt lyrics as, "You should know that I love you a lot, but I just can't date a dude with a vaj" in the horrendously misspelled "Grow A Pear" and "Yup, I'll pull a Jeffrey Dahmer" in the eponymous single, "Cannibal". She's like a drunker (if you can even imagine that) Lily Allen.

Also, in "Cannibal", she tries to do this sexy, Christina Aguilera scale thing and fails so miserably you can't help but get a kick out of it. Every time I hear it I can imaging little Ke$ha on the short bus and it makes me smile inside. Imagine a mentally challenged kid just saying "Oh" over and over into a vocorder. That's what you get.

Even for all the humor of this album, there's not nearly as much funny shit as on her first album. I mean, Animal had such classics as "Blah Blah Blah" with the line "Cut to the chase kid, 'cause I know you don't care what my middle name is. I wanna get naked and you're wasted", and "Party at A Rich Dude's House", which is pretty self explainatory. She does include the mandatory pop-ballad per album with "The Harold Song", "They say that true love hurts, well this could almost kill me. Young love murder, that is what this must be." Ohhhhh, poor KeSha. Try not talking about boning half the population. That might help your whole "relationship issue" situation.

Long story short, this is not the album of the year. It's not even really that good, but I get a kick out of people talking about drinking, because I like drinking. This is a great album to put on while you're getting ready to go out, or you're drunk. Or you just wish you were drunk. It gets a solid C from me.

Check out the entire album, streaming on her Myspace, now.

Ke$ha - We R Who We R (Someone get this girl to a spelling class, STAT!)

1 comment: