Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Tori Amos Two-Fer! Abnormally Attracted to Sin and Y Kant Tori Read

Holy shit do I love Tori Amos' new album, Abnormally Attracted to Sin. Tori's got her groove back, hardcore! I do have to admit that I was less than pleased with the last few albums. I mean, they were good, just not up to Tori standards. I think she was getting back into the swing of things with American Doll Posse, but this album takes the cake.

Tori's 10th studio album brings her to...trip hop? Holy shit, I love this album. If it wasn't for her distinct vocals, I would mistake this album for Portishead. (This album is definitely better than Third BTW.) Perhaps it was the jump from Epic to Universal Republic that allowed this new, electronically inspired Tori. Well, they did give her full artistic independence, so I'm sure it didn't hurt!

It is said that Tori released The Piano as sort of a last round-up of her works before moving in an entirely new direction, but this record definitely has the ghosts of albums past. "Strong Black Wine" could just have easily been on Little Earthquakes, while "Curtain Call" could have been on To Venus and Back. It's like Little Earthquakes, From the Choirgirl Hotel, and To Venus and Back had a little vinyl baby, but made only with the greatest parts of those albums. And I'm not really that big a fan of To Venus and Back.

This album finds Tori's already amazing voice harmonized with symphonies of violins as well as curious, ambient, electronic noise. In two words: trip-hop goodness!

She does have a few throw backs to the olden days, intoning songs like, "Maybe California", a whole new perspective from Tori on motherhood, done in the classic vocal style that Tori does so well.

All in all, this album is fucking fantastic! Hooray for Tori! A!



While shopping for Abnormally Attracted to Sin, I came across Y Kant Tori Read! Yes, I finally found it! This album makes me smile. It's amazing that Tori has had this musical path carved out for herself for over two decades! Granted, most songs sound straight from the final scene in a cheesy 80's teen flick, but that's how it was supposed to sound back then!

I don't understand why this album was so poorly received. Hot chick, big hair,  killer synth...the epitome of great 80's music! There's even a song about PIRATES!!!! Everyone should have a song about pirates!

I love the dirty, little, religiously rebellious Tori of those days. Twenty-one years old, playing piano in smoky little bars, full of piss and vinegar. It's amazing to see how far she's come since 1985.

If you can find it, I highly recommend this album. And it's kind of a necessity for any long-time Tori fans. This album also gets an A!

Tori Amos' Site

No comments:

Post a Comment